Author Topic: KakaoStats shutting down  (Read 117156 times)

Offline Kakao

• Administrator
  • Regular
    • Google Plus
KakaoStats shutting down
« on: October 22, 2014, 07:51:50 PM »
After more than 10 years producing Folding@Home stats KakaoStats will shut down on January 1st 2015.

The reasons are: I do not have the time to finish the new version; I can't upgrade the hardware; My home connection is a constant chore to keep working; The server takes space for which I have better use and it warns my work room up.

This is the earlier KakaoStats version I found but I think there were earlier ones:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040907015442/http://kakaostats.net/

It started as a teams list only in portuguese. It was and is a great personal achievement for me. It printed an unforgettable mark in my mind. I'm proud of it and I will miss it.

The repositories at GitHub:

https://github.com/ClodoaldoPinto/kakaostats
https://github.com/ClodoaldoPinto/KS2

Thank you all who visited the site and contributed to keep it working.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 04:38:19 PM by Kakao »
Every criticism or suggestion from the user is a gift. Even if i disagree or don't answer. Obviously if there is real intellectual work on producing it the better.

Offline bollix47

• Regular
Re: KakaoStats shutting down
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 08:14:25 PM »
 :'( I'm so sad to hear that kakao stats will be closing down but I totally understand your reasons.  If I was younger and could afford it I would love to help out.  Hopefully someone in a position to do so will come forward.

Good luck in all your future endeavors and thank you so much for your past ones.

Offline billford

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 07:48:42 AM »
That news saddens me greatly, but I can understand why you're doing it.

I'm a newbie to folding compared to many, but I've found your site invaluable. A big thank you for all your efforts, and the best of luck in whatever you move on to do.

Offline Sn1ken

• Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 10:30:02 AM »
I am sorry to hear you are planning to shut down the service. On the other hand I will applaud your effort.

I am wondering if a contribution would be of any help? Would it be an option to continue the service if you were able to buy new hardware?

Offline Kakao

• Administrator
  • Regular
    • Google Plus
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 06:44:45 PM »
Would it be an option to continue the service if you were able to buy new hardware?

No but thanks for asking. The only fix would be to have the server in a data center. No connection or energy supply problems. That costs about US$ 120/130 per month.
Every criticism or suggestion from the user is a gift. Even if i disagree or don't answer. Obviously if there is real intellectual work on producing it the better.

Offline davidcoton

• Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 06:14:35 PM »
How many users are there on Kakaostats (when it is running ;))?

Offline V i X

• Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 07:48:06 PM »
Man, I'm sorry to hear this... :/

Kakao, you are Brazilian, right? If so, can you visit this thread that i have created in this brazilian forum? Maybe we can help you in any way...

http://forum.clubedohardware.com.br/topic/1091700-kakao-stats-ir%C3%A1-encerrar-suas-atividades/

Offline ilkyest

• Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 09:12:25 PM »
You're used to our team.. post the times...
About "close" I won't say anything, but, pals... about EOC... guys, you top; dont give up now

Offline PS3EdOlkkola

• Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 03:40:17 PM »
It sure would be nice to keep KakoStats alive.

Would you be willing to donate the code if it was maintained and improved over time, and hosted in a data center?

Offline netblazer

• Regular
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 01:38:38 PM »
How big is the database?

How did you come up with the 125$ / month price?   

I've seen plenty of sites with a ton more traffic than you that can host sites for only 8-30$ / month on hostgator, just to name one.

What's left to do to upgrade the site?  Maybe we can find someone.  I would do it but I don't know that language.

Offline Kakao

• Administrator
  • Regular
    • Google Plus
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 01:43:30 PM »
I've seen plenty of sites with a ton more traffic than you that can host sites for only 8-30$ / month on hostgator, just to name one.

The source is now at GitHub. I invite you to run it on a shared server. If it works post it here.

Offline merve10495

• Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 12:47:37 AM »
Hi,
It is sad to hear that KakaoStats is no longer able to run after a fantastic ten years of service.
Kakao has been by far a leading advancement in competitive folding and has also helped all folders in optimizing rigs for folding and benefitting the project.

As Kakao has mentioned above the server will need to be hosted in a datacentre. I work in conjunction with an Australian community called MTS. MTS has been folding for a small period of time now and have spare dedicated resources we would like to use to support KakaoStats. We have taken a copy of the Github repository and will be working on it in the coming weeks.
With Kakao's consent we will be looking forward to restoring Kakaostats and updating the current code supplied.

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me on this forum and I will respond ASAP.

Kind regards,
Merve.

Offline Kakao

• Administrator
  • Regular
    • Google Plus
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 09:53:26 AM »
With Kakao's consent we will be looking forward to restoring Kakaostats and updating the current code supplied.

I'm not sure my consent is necessary but here you have it.

Offline Elwood

• Regular
    • AmigaOS website
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 01:07:27 PM »
@Kakao

I came late to Folding but your service was greatly appreciated as the stats at stanford.edu are not that good :-) Thanks for your work.

Maybe you could have given them your code, or even sold them through some donation. Your code could be used at stanford.edu instead of the old code.
AmigaOS betatester
http://www.amigaos.net

Offline Kakao

• Administrator
  • Regular
    • Google Plus
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 01:27:21 PM »
Maybe you could have given them your code, or even sold them through some donation. Your code could be used at stanford.edu instead of the old code.

It is now open source at GitHub.